This past Saturday my beloved Kansas Jayhawks men's basketball team led my alma mater to a victory over former coach Roy Williams and North Carolina. The win carries us to New Orleans for our 14th Final Four appearance to face Ohio State- once again- this Saturday night.
Every fan always says "My team's the best" and Kansas fans are no different. The only difference between us and them is that not only is our team the best, so are our fans.
When Kansas beat UNC in 2008 to advance to the championship game against Memphis, students, parents, kids, teachers, coaches, police, drinkers and non-drinkers alike, flocked down to Mass. Street to celebrate. Fortunately for me, I was a student at the time and did the same thing.
Fast forward two days.
Kansas faced Memphis in the championship game in San Antonio and won after Mario Chalmers' "Shot heard 'round the world" in the last 2 seconds of the game. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.
After that victory, again to Mass. Street we flocked.
No one can ever understand or even fathom the feelings and emotions that are on display during an experience like that. I am so fortunate I was able to go.
![]() |
| Massachusetts Street Lawrence, Kan., April 8, 2008 |
![]() ![]() |
| Fans celebrating the Jayhawks' 2008 National Championship Title |
![]() |
| Mass. Street after the Jayhawks defeated UNC to go on to the Final Four. March 24, 2012 |
![]() |
| Travis and I celebrating the win in Fort Scott, Kan. |
Most fans are excited their team makes it into the NCAA tournament. Well us, our fans, we expect to win it every time, even during those "rebuilding" years.
When Roy Williams left Kansas to coach at UNC, we felt like he left us. I've been a Roy fan as long as I can remember and still get pissed about his leaving.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, I love Kansas basketball and what it represents. I mean our first coach, and ironically worse coach, invented the game. We've produced greats like Wilt Chamberlain, Danny Manning, Paul Pierce, Drew Gooden, Mario Chalmers, the Morris Twins, Thomas Robinson and so many more.
I love how we all rally around our team every year because when they win, we win. We all know what the saying is in Lawrence- "wait until basketball season"- and we don't care because it's true! We are basketball and if you disagree with me, that's fine because I didn't say your team, school or fans, are any less because of it.
So as you prepare to watch, or not watch, the Final Four game just remember.... We Are Kansas! And we will prevail! Rock Chalk Jayhawk, go KU!





No comments:
Post a Comment