Wednesday, May 2, 2012

People are people

With all the debate about same-sex marriage and relationships, military service and the rights of gay spouses,  do you ever find yourself wondering 'does it really matter'?
Does Lisa Smith loving Jan Jones really tarnish and change the value of Pete and Mary's relationship and/or marriage? Does John  and Tim's relationship really affect John's ability to defend his country?
I don't think it does.
Forgive me for being naive, but I believed what they told us in school about "every man" being equal. 
A blog on the Huffington Post's "Gay Voices" news blog forum caught my eye today because of one line, ""When I was in the military they gave me a medal for killing two men and a discharge for loving one."
 As much as some people may not like it or even agree, people are people regardless of their sexual orientation, skin color and religious beliefs.
Why must we constantly degrade and strip the rights of individuals based on our own convictions.
I truly believe to each his own. So why can't everyone else jump on board versus pushing others off? What do you think about same-sex marriage and the Don't Ask, Don't tell policy?
Photo via the Huffington Post and website of Leonard Matlovich

No comments:

Post a Comment